Sunday, January 27, 2013

last post on the great influenza





































I am almost done with my free reading book and it has been the best one yet. The book I read for this term for most of it was “the great influenza” by John Barry. This book has changed my perspective on the medicine we use today; also on how we got to this point in that field.
You see this book started out in 1918 before world war one and the outbreak of influenza. It would look at the people who would develop modern American medicine till the outbreak and then those who would have to face it. These two groups of people would be the same people but not. For the epidemic will change their outlook on medicine and how they treat it.
             These men would also have to fight against the political machine which is the government of America. During my book the president of the United States is Woodrow Wilson and he chooses for most of the war to ignore the deaths of all the civilians and soldiers due to the influenza outbreak.
            Where I am at in my book though is very interesting, because it is up to where I know who they are talking about due to advance biology.  In the book the Author mentions Fred Griffith who we discussed in class because of his contributions to genetics and Watson and crick who both discovered the double helix. This book shows that its studies were going on in real time.
            I have a little bit left in this book, but I have loved reading it. I am excited to finish it also though . it will give me a chance to get back to reading something that is in the fiction and a little bit easier to read on a level. It will still be challenging but it will be in an area of literature not as hard as nonfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment