Thursday, January 17, 2013

whats with gym?



The problem with gym in schools.


I have never really enjoyed gym after getting out of elementary school. As a child I swam every day, at  school I  didn’t need that extra few minutes of time spent running around playing games, but I enjoyed it because it add some activity to another otherwise day of nothing but sitting in a classroom learning stuff.

What would follow on the subject of gym is that in middle school it would have the fun juiced out of it by the requirements of doing sports. The teacher at the school I attended made it a little less fun in that she would make you wear step counters to make sure you took a certain amount of steps just to get an A for that day. It is one of those ways that gym teachers are trying to make students grading easier and measurable.

But can you really measure your activity? I find that with calorie counters you can understand what is better for you to do and eat, while gym has just add to a day a little bit of frustration on being made to work out at a time in the day that wasn’t what I need or liked. Even if you did a sport during a time in middle school it didn’t get you a free hour. You just did it for fun which was fine by me; because the time spent practicing for that sport was with friends and enjoying just being a team.

While in gyms of schools you found that you weren’t on a team just a bunch of classmate’s forced to do sports; while your love for being on a team and getting active was being juiced right out of you for the reason of a test on a game that you should just play to enjoy; not for a grade.

Now in high school you find that sports are the way to go with teammates and fun that has been lost from gym. The problem with that is its only one sport that can get you so far and you just train for one thing, gym classes can do a variety of sports that with sports teams you only get one.

I haven’t taken a really gym class scene I have arrived at high school, the only gym I have ever done was with the swimmers before school, and that was just dry land workouts that we got credit for being there. What I hope in the future is that someday the gym teacher will start putting fun back into gym by making it fun; not just another class that a student has to pass to graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment