Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lifeguard style




I first heard about this video on GMA yesterday morning and it got me thinking.  To that theses 14 lifeguards lost their job is a sad thing. The Supervisors fired these lifeguards on account of “miss use of public property” like their “uniforms”.

Now I’m a lifeguard like those 14 teenagers and I had to buy my own uniform before I started working, this means that it’s my property not my employers. The miss use of “public property” is also debatable. If these guards where guard people in the water while they shoot this video it wouldn’t be okay, but in the who tape you see no patrons of any kind. This leads me to believe they shoot this video after the patrons left.

 If the lifeguards hadn’t been fired I feel this would have gone unnoticed by the press or anyone else. It’s on YouTube and there are a lot better videos out there, but because they fired them and made a big deal of it, this would not be happening at all.

I have thought of making YouTube “Call me maybe” parody’s with the swimmers and friends, but if I were to have that used against me in find a job or I could lose a collage scholarship over it. I don’t think I would do it because it could endanger my future.

A question to be asking you right now is this violating those 14 lifeguards first amendment? I think it is a little bit. Those lifeguards didn’t hurt anyone or break anything. They can put that on their for either their right to freedom of speech or it could be the press how you look at it. It may have a little bit of suggestive themes in the video at some point but it’s not that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment